Sleep is a necessity of the body that brings rest to all the body organs, after a long day’s action. Someone could rejuvenate his physical energy by means of a night’s sleep, for at least 6 to 8 hours. But the vital fact is that only a perfectly sound sleep may offer the desired result for the physical and psychological stability of someone. On the contrary, disrupted sleep may lead the body to experience horrible fatigue throughout the day, as well as result in the lack of concentration and irritated mood.
But there are some essential oils that are known to be effective in generating sound sleep, curing all the sleep disorders. These natural oils are all extracted from the flowers, fruits, and the timber of several types of trees and plants.
- Lavender Oil – This sweet-scented oil is derived from the lavender blossoms, which has an exceptional effect to calm down anxious feelings. Just 1-2 drops of lavender oil should be added to the pillow or directly to the forehead, wrists, and feet of the consumer so that its soothing essence can help him/her fall asleep very quickly.
- Roman Chamomile – Many men and women are used in the regular consumption of chamomile tea to health reasons. But this essential oil derived from the Roman chamomile plant is useful in relaxing the body and head of a user. The soft herbal nature of the oil resembles the scent of apple to some extent. This sweet fragrance acts as a stress-reliever and reduces all negative emotions, like anger, bitterness, and aggravation.
- Cedarwood Oil – This oil comes from the bark of the cedarwood tree. It is used for relaxing the agitated nerves, due to the natural sedative power. A couple of drops of the essential oil can be added to the pillow of a patient suffering from insomnia and watched the difference immediately. Apart from inducing a feeling of tranquility, this oil can help in fighting common cold and different household pests.
- Vetiver – This oil is obtained from vetiver grass, which can be called khus-khus in many Asian nations. It may be applied directly to the body skin for reducing mental stress, resulting in sound sleep at night. It also works fast in soothing mental traumas and psychological shocks. It’s used as a medication for the relaxation of nerves and also to stimulate the circulatory system of the body.
- Valor -Its woody scent assists in maintaining balance in the nervous system, resulting in increasing the physical and psychological strength of the user. Moreover, it causes courage, self-confidence, and concentration. It also reduces the anxiety level, balances the emotional upheaval, and even reduces back pain. Hence, a few drops of this oil should be massaged on the wrists, chest, feet, and neck before going to bed or might be added to the massage oil for a full-body massage.
- Orange – This oil is derived from the peels of fresh orange, for which it has a sweet, fruity fragrance that calms down a disturbed mind. Once it uplifts the mood of the user and acts as an anti-depressant; this essential oil also known to have antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It also contains d-limonene, which is an antioxidant and consequently, helps in regenerating cells.
- Occasionally, other pure essential oils, like lavender oil and cedarwood oil are added to this useful oil to make it a much more powerful sleep-inducing agent. The sweet citrus aroma of this oil calms down emotions and leaves the user emotionally calm, by driving out all anxieties and hard feelings from his/her mind.
The best way of using these essential oils is to spray into the nostrils with the help of a little home diffuser. In the absence of such a tool, an individual can simply rub a few drops of any of these oils on the palms and inhale the essence, by cupping the hands in front of the nose. These oils may also be massaged gently on the neck, chest, hands, and feet, to cause quicker and sounder sleep.