The breeding stock should be selected when they reach 4 to 5 months old. The breeder should be chosen from the largest litter. In males, it’s very critical to find the presence of two testicles in the scrotum as testicles descend down from the body cavity at 12 weeks of age.
- Extensive Sort of reproduction:-
Weaning here practiced is 5 to 6 weeks and re-breeding shortly after weaning. Does are therefore mated once every 2.5 months. This is the best suited to tropical countries like India.
- Semi intensive reproduction
Weaning is practised at 4-5 months old. Breeding is practised after 10-20 days after kindling.
- Intensive reproduction
Weaning is at 4 months old. Mating is performed immediately after kindling. Raccoon Poop
Always females should be placed to the pen of male to avoid fighting. Mating should be performed during coolest part of the day like early morning or late evening. After successful mating the male usually produces a normal cry noise and falls down on one side of the female. Soon after the mating the male one should be removed from the cage. The male shouldn’t be greater than 3 to 4 days in a week and not more than 2 to 3 times in a day. The ratio of male to female is 1:10. Both genders should reach 70% of the adult body weight.
The breeding season is almost throughout year. But in India, autumn stress is encountered during hot weather.
Signs of heat in females
- Lying in mating posture
- They are spontaneous ovulators. Ovulation begins 10 hours after mating.
- In warmth, the female bunny accepts male, otherwise it rejects.
- In warmth, the female assumes a typical pose called”lordosis” in which the spine is arched downward and hind quarter is increased.
- The female one in di-estrous phage crouch in the corner of the cage.
- After kindling (parturition), the re breeding occurs after a week in intensive direction. But normally re-mating is shown just one week before weaning.
- When temperature rises above 36 degree centigrade, temporary sterility happens.